In 1984, Sarajevo hosted the Winter Olympics. Just a decade later, the region was torn apart by a bitter years-long conflict, leading to widespread death and suffering. One not-so-familiar effect of this war was the toll it took on the Olympic infrastructure which had been built not that long ago. Today, these structures stand as a visual reminder of how quickly things can change.
While these photos offer a stunning glimpse of the decayed grounds from the 1984 Winter Olympics, it’s important to also remember how devastating the 1990s war was for the region. The Siege of Sarajevo was the longest siege of a capital city in the history of modern warfare. The sports complex built for the 1984 Winter Olympics was utilized as a graveyard due to high casualties. The story of the 1984 Olympics doesn’t have the happiest ending, but it’s definitely a story worth knowing.
Did you already share this?
Share it now:
- Three Grandmas Smoke Weed for the First Time
- This Is What Happens When You Schedule a Wedding during a Football Game
- Unusual Idioms from Around the World
- This Glow in the Dark Bike Path Has a Hidden Surprise
- These Tourists Had No Idea What Kind of Insane Bus Ride They Were about to Experience
- This Bird Communicates Just Like R2D2
- Magical Long Exposure Photos of Firefly Trails
- How to: Toasted Marshmallow Shot Glasses with Baileys