In 1984, Sarajevo hosted the Winter Olympics. Just a decade later, the region was torn apart by a bitter years-long conflict, leading to widespread death and suffering. One not-so-familiar effect of this war was the toll it took on the Olympic infrastructure which had been built not that long ago. Today, these structures stand as a visual reminder of how quickly things can change.
While these photos offer a stunning glimpse of the decayed grounds from the 1984 Winter Olympics, it’s important to also remember how devastating the 1990s war was for the region. The Siege of Sarajevo was the longest siege of a capital city in the history of modern warfare. The sports complex built for the 1984 Winter Olympics was utilized as a graveyard due to high casualties. The story of the 1984 Olympics doesn’t have the happiest ending, but it’s definitely a story worth knowing.
Did you already share this?
Share it now:
- Drunk Driver Kills a Woman Walking Her Dog… Dog Flees in a Panic. What Happens Next = Unbelievable!
- This Guy Had a Great Idea… $12 and 30 Minutes Later, His Daughter Loves It!
- You Have to See This Waterfall Swing Set to Understand How Brilliant It Actually Is
- 15 Creative Ideas for DIY Easter Decorations
- This DreamWorks Animator and His 3-Year-Old Son Make Short Videos With Professional Special Effects
- This Mom Transforms Her Baby’s Naptime into Magical Adventures in Dreamland
- This Woman Creates the Most Colorful Origami Street Art
- WOW! This Heroic Rescue By the Houston Fire Department is Incredible!