In 1984, Sarajevo hosted the Winter Olympics. Just a decade later, the region was torn apart by a bitter years-long conflict, leading to widespread death and suffering. One not-so-familiar effect of this war was the toll it took on the Olympic infrastructure which had been built not that long ago. Today, these structures stand as a visual reminder of how quickly things can change.
While these photos offer a stunning glimpse of the decayed grounds from the 1984 Winter Olympics, it’s important to also remember how devastating the 1990s war was for the region. The Siege of Sarajevo was the longest siege of a capital city in the history of modern warfare. The sports complex built for the 1984 Winter Olympics was utilized as a graveyard due to high casualties. The story of the 1984 Olympics doesn’t have the happiest ending, but it’s definitely a story worth knowing.
Did you already share this?
Share it now:
- How to: Toasted Marshmallow Shot Glasses with Baileys
- These Two Blind Sisters See for the First Time… Their Reaction Will Leave You Speechless.
- This Dog Just REALLY Loves the Water
- I Didn’t Think an Elephant with a Prosthetic Leg Could Make Me Cry… And yet Here I Am…
- This Sickening Video Shows Why You Should Never Ever Give an UZI to a 9-Year-Old Girl
- Ferocious Pit Bull Attacks Innocent… Bubbles!
- This Couple Found a Broken Old iMac at a Garage Sale… and THIS Is What They Made
- This Is All You Need in Life: Grilled Mac & Cheese in Shots of Tomato Soup.