In 1984, Sarajevo hosted the Winter Olympics. Just a decade later, the region was torn apart by a bitter years-long conflict, leading to widespread death and suffering. One not-so-familiar effect of this war was the toll it took on the Olympic infrastructure which had been built not that long ago. Today, these structures stand as a visual reminder of how quickly things can change.
While these photos offer a stunning glimpse of the decayed grounds from the 1984 Winter Olympics, it’s important to also remember how devastating the 1990s war was for the region. The Siege of Sarajevo was the longest siege of a capital city in the history of modern warfare. The sports complex built for the 1984 Winter Olympics was utilized as a graveyard due to high casualties. The story of the 1984 Olympics doesn’t have the happiest ending, but it’s definitely a story worth knowing.
Did you already share this?
Share it now:
- All Those Ice Buckets Changed This Guy’s Life, and His Message Will Leave You Speechless
- Now THIS is Why the Ocean Terrifies Me!
- This Barber Spends His Sundays Giving Free Haircuts to Homeless People
- Surfer Ryan Lovelace and His Girlfriend Turned This Vintage Bus into a Stunning Home on Wheels
- Words Cannot Describe… I’m Literally Shaking With Laughter!
- You Won’t Believe How Your Skin Really Looks
- Someone Printed “The Invisible Man” as an Invisible Book
- Grandpa Gets a Puppy after His Wife and Dog Passed Away