In 1984, Sarajevo hosted the Winter Olympics. Just a decade later, the region was torn apart by a bitter years-long conflict, leading to widespread death and suffering. One not-so-familiar effect of this war was the toll it took on the Olympic infrastructure which had been built not that long ago. Today, these structures stand as a visual reminder of how quickly things can change.
While these photos offer a stunning glimpse of the decayed grounds from the 1984 Winter Olympics, it’s important to also remember how devastating the 1990s war was for the region. The Siege of Sarajevo was the longest siege of a capital city in the history of modern warfare. The sports complex built for the 1984 Winter Olympics was utilized as a graveyard due to high casualties. The story of the 1984 Olympics doesn’t have the happiest ending, but it’s definitely a story worth knowing.
Did you already share this?
Share it now:
- Haunting Images from Inside the Abandoned Panopticon Prison in Cuba
- With No Clue What to Do, This Guy Got Added to a Live Belly Dancing Segment on FOX Morning TV
- Girl Takes a Selfie With Megatron and Earns an Epic Smackdown in Response
- There is a Cat in This Picture… Can you find him?
- Dad Was Filming His 4 Year Old Daughter’s Hockey Game When Something Unexpected Happened
- This Artist Creates Pictures Using Only Packing Tape
- Watch: Giant Tortoise Rescues His Overturned Friend
- What This Norwegian Guy Did to Rescue a Duck Trapped under the Ice…