In 1984, Sarajevo hosted the Winter Olympics. Just a decade later, the region was torn apart by a bitter years-long conflict, leading to widespread death and suffering. One not-so-familiar effect of this war was the toll it took on the Olympic infrastructure which had been built not that long ago. Today, these structures stand as a visual reminder of how quickly things can change.
While these photos offer a stunning glimpse of the decayed grounds from the 1984 Winter Olympics, it’s important to also remember how devastating the 1990s war was for the region. The Siege of Sarajevo was the longest siege of a capital city in the history of modern warfare. The sports complex built for the 1984 Winter Olympics was utilized as a graveyard due to high casualties. The story of the 1984 Olympics doesn’t have the happiest ending, but it’s definitely a story worth knowing.
Did you already share this?
Share it now:
- This is What Happens When a Moose Meets a Malamute Dog
- Fake Chef Pranks Morning TV Shows
- Kayaker Finds 110-Year-Old Ghost Ship in the Ohio River
- 6 Mind Bending Impossible Objects
- Haunting Photos of Abandoned Amusement Park in Germany
- NEWSFLASH: Baby Donkeys are the Cutest Things on Earth!
- Letters Of Advice Written from Convicts To Their Past Selves
- 11 Jobs That No Longer Exist Today