In 1984, Sarajevo hosted the Winter Olympics. Just a decade later, the region was torn apart by a bitter years-long conflict, leading to widespread death and suffering. One not-so-familiar effect of this war was the toll it took on the Olympic infrastructure which had been built not that long ago. Today, these structures stand as a visual reminder of how quickly things can change.
While these photos offer a stunning glimpse of the decayed grounds from the 1984 Winter Olympics, it’s important to also remember how devastating the 1990s war was for the region. The Siege of Sarajevo was the longest siege of a capital city in the history of modern warfare. The sports complex built for the 1984 Winter Olympics was utilized as a graveyard due to high casualties. The story of the 1984 Olympics doesn’t have the happiest ending, but it’s definitely a story worth knowing.
Did you already share this?
Share it now:
- This Chicken Is Totally Black from Head to Toe. Even the Meat, Bones, and Organs Are Black!
- 31 Celebrities with Their Dopplegangers from the Past
- Wait Till You See What’s Inside Finland’s “Maternity Box” Given to Every Pregnant Woman!
- Take a second look… This is not what it looks like!
- This Guy Has Been Drawing on His Son’s Lunch Bags Every Day for 2 Years
- What Do You Do When You’re Stuck Alone Overnight in the Las Vegas Airport?
- The Cat Who Was Kicked in That Viral Video Has Been Adopted!
- This Artist Draws Incredible Portraits on Maps